Updated: Sep 8
Ayurveda tips for healthy, soft, rosy, glowing lips naturally. Adios dry, cracked, burning, chapped, and dull lips.
Explore more on the Saumya Blog, selected top Ayurveda blogs and websites to watch.
Ayurveda Remedies for Dry, Chapped Lips
How to get rid of dry, chapped, and cracked lips with Ayurveda:
7 Easy Steps
1. Hydrate your lips. If we're dry on the outside, we're likely dry on the insides. Consider drinking Ayurveda digestive tea or other healthy non-caffeinated herbal teas that suit your dosha picture. Opt for high water content foods such as watermelon and cucumbers, especially in the summer season when Pitta is high. Such foods hydrate the whole body, including the lips. Also, avoid licking and picking lip skin--ouch!
2. Exfoliate your lips. Adios dry lip skin. A little, gentle exfoliation goes a long way. By exfoliating twice a week, that increases blood circulation and removes flaky, dry, tired skin.
Explore More on the Saumya Blog: Ayurvedic Doshas and Their Impact on Your Life | The Dance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha
Gentle Homemade Lip Exfoliant--So natural you can eat it!
Did you know your kitchen is also your salon? Blend finely chopped pieces of beetroot with 1 teaspoon of coconut (summer suitable) or olive oil. Add to this mixture, a sprinkle or two of turbinado sugar.
With a soft, natural toothbrush, massage the beetroot mixture onto your lips using a circular motion. The granulated mixture will gently exfoliate and nourish your lips. Gently continue for a couple of minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
3. Protect your lips from the environment. The sun, pollution, wind impacts the delicate lips skin which is thinner skin and lower melanin. What’s this mean? Lips are more susceptible to sunburn and sun damage. Use a high quality, natural SPF lip balm to screen your delicate lips from the elements. This measure also helps prevent cracking and drying.
4. Mask your lips. Time to love up your lips with deep moisturizing to hydrate and nourish.
Homemade Lip Mask--Again, so natural you'll want to eat it.
Crush some fresh pomegranate seeds and combine the seeds with cream (yup from a cow) or with rose water. Create a rich paste. Gently apply the paste and do your 11-minute guided relaxation practice while your lips drink in the pomegranate milk mask. Rinse the mask off with lukewarm water. The mask reveals more vibrant lips.
5. Prepare your lips. If you use glosses and the like on your lips, prepare and protect first. Think-layering. Your first layer is an herbal lip balm of your liking.
“Read the label, if you don’t know the word, and it isn’t something you would eat, don’t put it on your skin.” – Veena, Saumya Ayurveda
Alternatively, you can use coconut oil or olive oil which create a nourishing base. For more lip loving, use natural health and beauty products on your lips—you may find you don’t need glosses and colors once you routinely follow steps 1-4 as your natural, radiant lip skin glows.
6. Use nasya oil. Alleviate excess Vata dosha which is drying. Read this article to learn everything you need to know about Ayurvedic Nasya treatment – and how it can improve your life. It's much more than a nose oil treatment. Nasya Oil Benefits | How to Use Nasya Oil for Greater Wellbeing
7. Use a humidifier. Add a humidifier to your bedroom and home office, especially in Vata season (fall) and Kapha season (winter) for overall moisture. The humidity may help heal your chapped lips and keep your whole body more moisturized.
More Natural and Easy Home Ayurveda Remedies for Dry, Chapped Lips
Aloe vera is hydrating and soothing for chapped lips. Apply aloe vera gel to your lips twice a day. If you can use fresh aloe gel, so much the better.
Honey is moisturizing and may prevent infections on dry, cracked lips. Apply raw honey twice a day.
Cucumber is cooling, nourishing, and hydrating to dry lips. Apply fresh cucumber juice twice a day.
Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory and moisturizing. Massage your lips with warm coconut oil daily before going to bed for soft lips.
Ayurveda Remedies for Dry, Chapped Lips includes good hydration inside and out, exfoliation, environmental protection, and natural nourishing lip masks transform your Ayurveda Lip Care, naturally. Dry, cracking skin does not need to be a daily struggle anymore with Ayurveda’s wisdom.
What Does Meditation Have To Do With Dry Lips? When Vata is imbalanced it creates dryness in the body and mind including anxiety, constipation, low quality sleep, dry hair, and dry lips.
Click here to learn more about that!
There is a saying, "The mind is more in the body, than the body is in the mind." The Saumya 3 step meditation process shifts us from fight-flight-freeze mode, to rest-restore-relax mode. Give it a try for forty days and observe the changes. The more grounded and relaxed we are, the smoother life flows.
"The breath is the connection between the mind and body, so by training the breath, we become calm, focused, and grounded, we slow down the aging process by decreasing stress. These practices are so simple and easy to have as part of our daily life. We actually feel and look younger."
- Veena, Saumya Ayurveda
1. Learn Diaphragmatic Breathing and Change Your Life. When we re-learn to breath diaphragmatically, we move from the flight-fight-freeze mode, to rest, restore, relaxation mode from where we want and need to live.
3. Ayurveda Daily Routines: --Ayurvedic Morning Routine | 6 Rituals for a Calm and Centered Day
"Choose a couple of practices from the routines that provide you with the greatest support. Perform them while applying our two minute meditation technique and your mundane tasks, just transformed into a mellifluous meditation. This is meditation applied to daily life." - Veena, Saumya Ayurveda
"Veena was able to help me regain my energy in just a few months and I’m feeling like my “young” self again! I love the food plan she designed for me, and all the supporting practices (am/pm routines, breathing techniques, herbs, and spice mixes) are so enjoyable to incorporate into my day. I highly recommend Saumya Ayurveda if you want to feel better and have more vitality.”
-Molly Rossini, Minnesota
“After six months with no period and increasing concern, I am happy to report that my periods are completely regular. With just two months of Veena’s treatment, they are almost symptomless except for mild cramping. I am feeling very good and well balanced overall. My skin has improved as well. I am looking forward to doing the cleanse with you this spring. “ – A.K. Minnesota
"Using Veena's herbalized oil cleared up skin issues and it was a lovely lesson in being kind to myself, which then made it easier to be kinder to others."
-Stephanie M., USA
Discover the Saumya Ayurveda Way
We all want to be heard, understood, and cared for as whole beings, not a set of isolated symptoms. True health is more than the absence of disease, which is why Western medicine so often leaves us feeling hopeless and unseen.
Deep down, you already know what you’re searching for: a new framework for living – one that brings your entire being back into balance. With Saumya Ayurveda, you’ll receive individualized guidance to create the physically, mentally, and spiritually vibrant life you crave.
Veena is a Certified Ayurvedic Practitioner and meditation teacher, and monk.
She is President Emeritus of the Meditation Center and former staff member of the Minnesota Institute of Ayurveda.
Veena fell in love with the traditional medicine used in her family’s home learning herbal remedies at her grandmother's knee. She remains passionate for over 30 years, helping clients feel their best physically, emotionally, and spiritually with Ayurveda.
Veena individualizes treatment plans to each person, rather than offering a one-size-fits-all approach, so it fits your life and becomes woven into your daily life, naturally.